Monday, August 29, 2011

My Sort of Transition

Even with as much running as I have done over the years I never had a gait analysis or a proper fitting. I bought what I thought I should which amounted to what looked good and how much it cost. Somehow, with only a couple of setbacks, I had managed to stay injury free. That all changed last fall. I found myself at the local running store, Rush Running in Bentonville. I needed a new pair of whips and a couple of guys I had met suggested I go there. Glad I did. Got a gate analysis and a clear explanation of what I needed. I came in wearing a pair of Brooks Beast and left in a pair of Asics 1150s. Big difference. From a full blown motion control to a mild stability platform. I had my doubts but rolled with it. I haven't looked back. I have since bought Brooks Ravenna, Pearl Iso-Synch, Asics 1160 and Brooks Defyance. All traditional mild stability shoes.
Like many I have read a lot about the minimalist movement. I read Born to Run. And I began to think. What if I tried to transition to the least amount of shoe possible? In baby steps. First, I began doing some runs without my Superfeet inserts. I had been advised to use them when I purchased a pair of trail shoes (on sale, of course) at a one stop sports store that I won't name. I didn't notice any new aches or pains from not using them. So after a while I put them in a box. I guess I don't need them after all. Next I began to wonder about my shoes. Curious how I would feel in a shoe with maybe 4mm of drop. My current skids are all like 12mm. Dropping that much worried me. So I am trying to find something in between. A lighter than normal trainer with less drop. I have looked at the NB890 and Saucony Kinvara but didn't pull the trigger on either. I would have to give an edge to New Balance there but would like to compare the 890 to the 905. Recently I tried on a pair of Brooks ST Racer. Really liked the feel. A lighter weight trainer with some medial posting and a lower heel drop. But the Denver Bronco color combo? I'm a diehard Cowboy fan. But it fits the bill better than anything yet. I will hold off until I get a look and feel of the new Brooks Pure Project line. I have no desire to eventually run in VFFs. I just want to find out how minimalist I can go and still run without aches or pains. If I don't need extra stuff then why use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment